2017 VS 2020 - Three Years Difference in Writing a Short Story

Try and Fail. Try and Fail. Try and Fail. 

 TRY AND SUCCEED

  

        Your first story doesn't have to be failure, there is now written rule that with your first try it won't be good - BUT! And that is a big but, with every next try you will be better, your writing will be better, so keep going and never stop writing. 

 



The following story is the first story I have ever wrote (beside essays for school). I was sixteen years old at the time.

Enjoy! 🤗


12.05.2017.    

Hi, this is the book. Yes, it's me, fat, old and frayed covers full of white and rough paper, but, also full of wisdom. I'm standing on the shelf, tottering and dusty shelf. Any minute now I fearing that I am going to fall, but I'm holding up. My friend is helping me not to fall. Yes, my friend is a nail, a gray, metal and rusty nail. But he doesn't talk a lot. I'm lonely.

Why not hang out with other books? I think they don't like me. They keep looking askance at me. I think it's because of my cover, but it stopped bothering me.

Every day next to me goes to a million people, but no one ever chooses me; it makes me very unhappy. Other books are taken regularly and they love talking about their travels when they return. I know these other books. Their covers are not frayed like mine and their covers shine so beautifully in the light, but this does not mean that they are better than me.

I have many, many years, so many that I don't remember who wrote, created and invented me.

I believe that they are a very wise person, how else do you think I could be so wise.

I'm getting older and older, but I am not getting old enough, my ageing is reflected in how many times I've been read. But at some point, they stopped taking me. A new generation came, and I'm just too old for them.

It makes me unhappy. I know I shouldn't but I can't help it.

Remember how I mentioned that a nail doesn't talk much?

Well this time he spoke, very short and to the point.

I watched him with astonishment as he spoke. He told me there will always be a new, beautiful book that will be attractive, but that book will get old too and people will forget about that book. 

People reject what is no longer beautiful, attractive and interesting. It makes you unhappy, I know it's difficult but that's life. You see, I would have already retired, I'm almost completely rusty, but they can't seem to change me. Why? You are probably wondering. Because people are wasting their time more and more; they have a lack of time and they forget those little things – those little things like me - who actually make great things.

Id it wasn't for me, this shelf would have fallen long ago, right? I'm here to do what I was meant to do. See book, everything will come to its place. I am wishing you a person who will come one day and take you. 

A book thanked him and she promised him that she will be with him always and forever. 

Nail and books have became best friends. After a while the nail fell. That was the end of his adventures, but a book promised him that he will never be forgotten in her presence.    

*

The story above was the one I wrote back in 2017. If you are interested in reading some of my new stories, you can check out my profile on Reedsy -   https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/nancy-drayce/

There you'll have the chance to read some of my five stories that are called: "Lilith", "Glass Box", "The Killer from my Dream", "Olive Green Eyes" and "The End of Everything". 

Hope you'll like them! I will, also, write some new stories and post them here soon! 


That concludes today's topic. If you want more information on how to write, please make sure to let me know down in the comment section!


Comments